Twin Eagles Partner Heartbeet Kitchen’s Rhubarb Crisp on the Grill
This incredibly delicious home-grilled rhubarb crisp by Twin Eagles Partner Heartbeet Kitchen is the perfect balance of tart and sweet. The heat of the grill does something special to the rhubarb, concentrating the flavors and evoking a slight hint of smokiness. After trying this recipe, you’ll want to make dessert straight off the grill a regular occurrence at home.
To make this recipe, Amanda prefers our 36″ Outdoor Gas Grill for its temperature control, whether it be direct or indirect heat. Its grill has zone dividers, which makes regulating different temperatures very easy—plus the grates actually aid in the grilling process by absorbing, retaining and conducting heat.
Turn the left two burners to medium low and leave the right one completely off. Then close the lid and let it heat up to about 400 degrees. At this point, set the crisp on the right side of the grill, where there is no direct heat, and cover it with foil. Bake for 25 minutes covered, then 20 to 25 minutes uncovered.
Besides grilling it, what makes this gluten-free rhubarb crisp better than rest? Heartbeet Kitchen’s unique crisp topping. Along with oat flour and rolled oats, grind up pepita seeds to make another “flour” and add sunflower seeds, brown sugar for sweetness, salt, and butter. Finally, top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy it outdoors with the whole family.
Scant 5 cups (575 grams) rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces on the diagonal
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
2 tablespoons tapioca starch
Juice of one lemon
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup (55 grams) old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup oat flour
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1/4 cup raw pepitas, finely ground
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup organic brown sugar (not packed)
2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons melted butter
- Mix all filling ingredients together and let sit while preparing the crisp topping.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all topping ingredients, everything but the butter. Then stir in the melted butter, and fully combine.
- Add filling to a 9 or 10 inch oven-safe tart or pie pan, or cast iron skillet. Top with crumble, leaving about 1/2 inch gap around the edges so you can see the rhubarb peak through.
- Turn on left and middle set of burners of your grill, leaving one side of the grill unheated. Preheat rest of grill to 400º F. When temp holds steady, put the crisp on the side of the grill with no burners on, and cover with foil. Close grill lid.
- Let bake for 20 minutes. Then remove foil, and rotate the pan clockwise. Close lid. Continue to bake for 25-30 more minutes, until bubbling and top is crisp is lightly browned.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes before eating with vanilla ice cream.