Twin Eagles Partner Sterling “Big Poppa” Ball’s Teriyaki Tailgater Spare Ribs
From main dishes to desserts, Twin Eagles Partner Sterling “Big Poppa” Ball has developed many recipes with rave reviews across the country. Today, he comes to us with a pretty sweet process for cooking Teriyaki Tailgater Spare Ribs from his Twin Eagles 36” Outdoor Gas Grill in Newport Beach, California. If you want ribs but don’t have a smoker, this recipe is for you. Sterling uses the Maillard reaction method where browning and a gentle char gives your ribs a familiar BBQ flavor. Keep reading for the step-by-step guide.
1. Set up your gas grill with the left and right burners set to LOW and the center burner off. Also set up an upper rack/second shelf as you’ll need this later.
2. Prepare your ribs by removing the membrane on the back/bone side and season with Big Poppa Smokers’ Sweet Money BBQ rub on both sides. Spray with olive oil spray, set aside to let the rub melt (about 5-10 min).
3. Place ribs on an aluminum pan and add 4oz of apple juice. Place the pan on the center of the grill, cover and cook for about an hour.
4. After an hour, remove ribs from the pan and place them on the upper rack, season them with Sweet Money again, close the lid and cook for another 40 min.
5. Remove the racks from the shelves and place over the direct hot zones (on low) on the left and right side of the grill. Cook for 10 min with the lid closed. Flip and repeat.
6. When you have the color you want, check the temperature. Aim for 200ºF – 210ºF.
Pro tip: Pick up the rack of ribs and twist each end. If you feel resistance, they aren’t done. If they are pliable, they’re ready.
7. When your ribs are done, it’s time to sauce. You will use the upper shelf for this. Place a sheet of foil over the center-bottom level of your grill to catch drips.
8. Place the ribs on the upper shelf with the meat side down, baste with your choice of teriyaki sauce, flip and sauce the other side. Close the lid of the grill and let it sit for 5 min to “set” the sauce.
9. Remove ribs from the grill, rest for 5 min, slice, add sauces as needed and you’re ready to dig in.